7/23/2008

Motorcycle accident



Well as most of you know on the morning of June 15th I was in a motorcycle accident. I'm fully recovered now and safely back in the States however I just wanted to re-call the story for those who haven't heard and since my blog will be a journal for me to look at for almost the rest of my life I don't want to forget the people that took me under their wing for days/hours/and almost months at a time.


I was on the back of a genuine motorcycle at 5 in the morning when a taxi turned left on the street we were going to turn right on. We turned way to fast and way to wide and our left side hit it's right side and we were both thrown from the bike. I hit the pavement with the left side of my face first, breaking 1 and a half teeth and hyperextending and spraining my left arm. The driver of the motorcycle only sustained road rash on his arm and leg and minor cuts and bruises. an ambulance was called and we went to the nearest hospital which turned out to be a military hospital, but it was more of a mosquito hangout. My friends arrived shortly since even though I had just been in an accident I still had my purse and my phone so I started making phone calls.


When you are a foriegner in a country who's prestige is based on the scale of face your care is not the highest quality, they had given me no back support/neck support. They asked me to stand up and walk to x-ray or while moving between gurney's. They also had no ice to help the swelling in my face and wouldn't give me a sedative or pain killers till we had paid. Finally we transferred to a much better (prolly the best in the Shiz) where they checked my eye to make sure the swelling in my eye wasn't damaging my eye (they gave me an eye exam and turns out my swollen eye has better eyesight then my right!)
The picture with the bandage is from the hospital and the picture w/o is from the day after.


I stayed with my friend Ruth who was a God-send. This experience has definitely showed me how blessed and how I should and am truly THANKFUL!

No comments: